October 2023 PSAT EXAM: Parent Information
What is the PSAT/NMSQT? The Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test is a multiple-choice exam that measures critical reading, math problem solving and writing skills. The PSAT/NMSQT prepares students for the 4 year college admissions tests (SAT’s), and provides you with a personalized online SAT study guide through the Khan Academy. The PSAT also serves as the qualifying exam for the National Merit Scholarship Program. Students who plan on attending college should sign up for the PSAT.
****Starting Fall 2023 : The PSAT will be given in a digital format, moving fully
away from pencil and paper format.
****The SATs will still be given as a pencil and paper format until the Spring of
- HOW does my child register for the exam? A Google Form will be emailed to students on May 22. The registration deadline is June 2.
- WHAT is the cost of the exam? $18.00- Exact Cash or check (payable to S.H.S) by June 14th to Mrs. Vines in the S.H. Guidance Office. Fee waivers available to qualifying students.
- WHEN IS THE PSAT? Saturday, October 14, 2023 (Save the date!) 7:45 AM – 12:15 PM
- WHERE will it be administered? Saugerties Sr. High (Location to be announced.)
Items needed on test day:
- Two #2 pencils
- Scientific or graphing calculator
- Student I.D. number
****Important: Our test order is based on the number of students who sign up by the deadline. We cannot guarantee an available test for students who do not pre-register by the deadline.
****If your child has an I.E.P. or Section 504 Plan that allows for testing accommodations, you must contact Michael Pugliese at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 16th to request the submission of an application to the College Board for S.S.D. accommodations.
Please contact your child’s counselor at 247-6651 x1801 or x1802
with any questions.
The Guidance Department utilizes Naviance, which is a web-based college and career readiness program. Students have personal accounts which give them access to this program.
DIANA THOMPSON Ext. 1801
Grades 10, 12
ERIN VINES Ext. 1802
Grades 9, 11
Dr. M. Catalano - Grade 9 and Grant D. Morse
J. Heilmann - Grade 10 (A-H and N-Z)
C. Stropoli - ELLs 7-12 and Grade 10 (I-M)
E. Madden - Grade 11
S. Thomann - Grade 12